You may want to ask your doctor some of the following questions before you decide on your cancer treatment.
Questions about Cancer Treatment
- What are the ways to treat my type and stage of cancer?
- What are the benefits and risks of each of these treatments?
- What treatment do you recommend? Why do you think it is best for me?
- When will I need to start treatment?
- Will I need to be in the hospital for treatment? If so, for how long?
- What is my chance of recovery with this treatment?
- How will we know if the treatment is working?
- Would a clinical trial (research study) be right for me?
- How do I find out about studies for my type and stage of cancer?
Questions about Finding a Specialist and Getting a Second Opinion
- Will I need a specialist(s) for my cancer treatment?
- Will you help me find a doctor to give me another opinion on the best treatment plan for me?
Questions about Types of Treatment
- Where will I go for treatment?
- How is the treatment given?
- How long will each treatment session take?
- How many treatment sessions will I have?
- Should a family member or friend come with me to my treatment sessions?
Questions about Side Effects
- What are the possible side effects of the treatment?
- What side effects may happen during or between my treatment sessions?
- Are there any side effects that I should call you about right away?
- Are there any lasting effects of the treatment?
- Will this treatment affect my ability to have children?
- How can I prevent or treat side effects?
Questions about Medicines and Other Products You Might Be Taking
- Do I need to tell you about the medicines I am taking now?
- Should I tell you about dietary supplements (such as vitamins, minerals, herbs, or fish oil) that I am taking?
- Could any drugs or supplements change the way that cancer treatment works?